Saturday, September 10, 2011

Oh Men, Why Can't They Remember Anything?

I say that very lovingly! My dear sweet husband forgot to ask for next weekend off. The weekend we have been planning for oh....about a year. Next weekend is ACL. We have been going for the past few years. Didn't go last year because we got married right around the same time of ACL. So, we both have been looking so forward to this year.  

On Friday, I asked my dear husband if he asked off of work. He said, "sure, I am sure I did." Well while I was finishing up mile 2 on the treadmill a the gym today I got a text that said he apparently did not ask of and was scheduled to work all next weekend.  My heart sank and my time at the gym abruptly came to a halt.

So, even more disappointed than me, he frantically started searching for people to help cover his shift. When he found a gracious person to cover for him, I was relived and offered to make cookies! But, apparently this guy does not really eat sweets and Jeff asked if I could make enchiladas. Enchiladas?? Um.....sure, no problem at all.

I have never made enchiladas before in my life. Don't get me wrong. I live in Texas with some of the best Mexican food in the US and I have eaten my weight in enchiladas I am sure. But making them...a whole different story. Fortunately, with my yearly visits to Santa Fe, I happened to have a great recipe for some pretty easy peasy enchiladas from the Santa Fe School of Cooking. Oh man, my lifeline for this endeavor. So, I give you the The Santa Fe School of Cooking Green Chile Enchiladas! 




Green Chile Sauce

1/4 c. vegetable oil
1 c. chopped onion
2-3 t. minced garlic
1-2 T. flour
2/3 c. mild, roasted, peeled and chopped New Mexican green chile
2/3 c. hot, roasted, peeled and chopped New Mexican green chile
freshly ground coriander seed to taste, optional
1 1/2 c. chicken stock
salt to taste

1. Heat the oil in a medium saucepan and saute the onion until softened, about 3-4 minutes.

2. Add the garlic and saute 2 minutes more. Stir in the flour. Add the green chile and coriander and slowly stir in the chicken stock.  Bring the mixture to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer about 15 minutes. Season with salt to taste.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups. 


Chicken Enchiladas

3 c. green chile sauce
16 fresh corn tortillas, about 4 inches in diameter
4 c. cooked, shredded chicken
1 1/2 lbs Monterrey Jack cheese, grated
1 1/2 c. diced onion, or sliced scallions with green tops
2 c. shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
1 1/2 c. diced tomato
1 1/4 c. sour cream

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Oil a 9x12 baking dish or pan.

2. Spread about 1 cup of the green chile sauce over the bottom of the dish and layer half of the tortillas evenly over the sauce.  Top the tortillas with half the chicken and 1/3 of the cheese and sprinkle with half the onion (for a milder onion flavor, use scallions). Repeat for the second layer and top with the last cup of sauce and remaining cheese. Bake 20-30 minutes, until bubbly and lightly browned.

3. To serve, spoon portions onto dinner places, garnish with shredded lettuce, diced tomato and top with 2 tablespoons sour cream. Serve with pinto beans and posole.

Cheers!!


2 comments:

Melissa at the Hive said...

You are a good wife. I would have just bought a frozen Pancho's foil panned enchilada platter in the freezer section. Happy Anniversary!

Liz said...

Sheesh! Why did I not think of that? They probably would not have known any different!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...