Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Chicken Crock Pot Pie

On days that I know I am going to be busy after work I try to simplify things by using my crock pot!  It is nice to come home to a house smelling like someone has been in the kitchen all day. So some strange reason, I have a hard time finding crock pot recipes that I really like. Roast is that "go to" crock pot recipe for me but frankly I am getting a bit tired of that. 

So, I pulled out my iPhone, used my allrecipes.com dinner spinner app, and found a great recipe for the inside of a chicken pot pie. All you have to do is add a biscuit on top! 




Slow Cooker Chicken Pot Pie Stew

4 large skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cut into cubes
10 medium red potatoes, quartered
1 (8 ounce) package baby carrots
1 cup chopped celery
2 (26 ounce) cans condensed cream of chicken soup
6 cubes chicken bouillon
2 teaspoons garlic salt
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 tablespoon ground black pepper
1 (16 ounce) bag frozen mixed vegetables

1. Combine the chicken, potatoes, carrots, celery, chicken soup, chicken bouillon, garlic salt, celery salt, and black pepper in a slow cooker; cook on High for 5 hours.

2.  Stir the frozen mixed vegetables into the slow cooker, and cook 1 more hour.

*I did make a few adjustments to this. I did not cube my chicken. I laid the hole chicken on top of the mixture and after it was done cooking, I took a fork and shredded it. It worked great!

*I diced the baby carrots.

*I did not put in celery or the celery salt.

*I didn't add the chicken bouillon, instead I added about 1 cup of chicken broth.

*I used reduced fat condensed cream of chicken soup.

I made whole wheat biscuits to add on the top. This stuff makes a ton so we had enough for dinner the next night. Instead, I put the mixture in an au gratin dish and added Pillsbury crescent dough to the top and backed according to the package. That was good!

Cheers!

1 comment:

Taos Sunflower said...

I have recently resurrected my crock pot and been watching for good recipes. This sounds wonderful! Thanks so much for sharing it.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...