Friday, July 13, 2012

Potting Plants In Paint Pails

I really need to give my outdoor decor a lift. Disappointed that my cucumbers did not grow this year put me into a gardening depression so I started to ignore my back yard. But, I do have some ideas on how to give it a little face lift so I can enjoy it a bit more. So, I started with a little creative potting. I love succulents, can't get enough of them. Plus, you don't have to water them everyday and they are very heat tolerant which I appreciate living in Texas.  There is a succulent/sedum nursery in town I just found. I plan to drag Mr. Lucas there next weekend. I want to plant one of those HUGE Agave Americana plants, my neighbor has one and I am jealous. I figure digging hers up in the middle of the night would be inappropriate. But...enough of my love for cacti. Here is my very simple and cute little project.

Materials Needed:
*Empty Paint Pail-you can find them at your local hardware store for about $5.00
*Soil
*Succulents/Cacti-several to arrange in your pail
*Hammer
*Large Nail
*Tongs-to handle those pesky cacti!


First, you will need to make holes in the bottom of the pail so when you water the soil it will drain. Take the hammer and nail and make several holes.




Fill your pail about 3/4 of the way (or a little less). Arrange your succulents and then fill to the top with soil so the plants are well secure.


Give it a little water and tah-dah, your done! You can make it your centerpiece for your backyard table or hang it like I did.






Happy potting. Cheers! 




1 comment:

Unknown said...

This is really cute! I might try this sometime, possibly next summer :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...