Monday, February 25, 2013

A Nice Warm Bowl Of Chicken Chili Soup For The Soul

I love Chili. Maybe it's a Texas thing. But, I love it, year round even. I decided to branch out a little and make a chicken chili this time. I usually use ground beef or ground turkey for a hearty chili. I've heard of chicken chili but honestly...it didn't really strike my fancy until, I saw a nice looking recipe in one of my South Beach Cookbooks. I changed one little thing and it turned out so yummy! It made enough to feed an army. So, I was able to freeze the left over (even after  I took some for my lunch the next day) to have next week. I need to get better at making a lot one night and freezing the rest for the following week. That would save me so much time and I am certain I would love myself for it later. Yeah, note to self...do that more often. Anyhoo, without further ado...

White Chipotle Chicken Chili
2 tablespoons evoo
3 medium onions, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, minced
2.5 lbs boneless, skinless, chicken breasts, cut into 1 inch cubes (yeah, I don't get that technical, just chop it up and don't mind the measurement, it will be JUST fine.
1 tablespoon chipotle Chile powder (I used my Santa Fe School of Cooking red Chile powder)
4 teaspoons ground cumin
salt to taste
3 19oz cans of cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
3 cups lower sodium chicken broth
1/2 cup fat free half and half
1/2 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese (I used the most fantastic Vermont white cheddar from Trader Joe's)
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

In a large Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the onions, stir, and cook until soften, about 4-5 minutes.Push the onions to the side of the pan and add the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with the Chile powder, cumin, and salt. Cook, stirring, until most of the chicken is opaque on the outside, 5 to 6 minutes.

Stir in 3 cups of beans and 2 cups of chicken broth. Increase the heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer. Partially cover and cook until the chicken is cooked through, about 8 minutes. 

Meanwhile, is a food processor, combine the remaining beans and remaining 1 cup of broth. Process until a smooth puree.

Stir in the bean puree and half and half into the soup. Divide the soup among 4 bowls and serve hot sprinkled with cheese and cilantro. I also topped with a lime wedge.


Cheers!

Oh, P.S, I promise to start posting some crafty yarnie things soon. My hands have been full with my little pup. Somehow, I don't think she is going to allow me to spin yarn. But I am going to give it the old college try. I have been wanting to spin, I feel the urge, it will happen soon!




1 comment:

Taos Sunflower said...

Yum!!! Chile plus easy...how can you go wrong??

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...