Monday, June 10, 2013

Elote=Yumminess

I love street corn. It is so gooooood. I especially love street corn from Torchy's or the corn in a cup you can get from your local Mexican food store. I thought it would be fun to give it a whirl myself  Its super easy. Here is what you do....

Get several ears of corn. Pull back the husks and remove the silky stringy things. Then, pull the husks back up over the corn.  Next we are going to grill it but so it does not catch on fire or blow up your grill and you in the process you need to soak the corn in cold water for at least 20 minutes. I usually do 30 because my grill cooks at a higher heat.

Then, place your corn directly on the grill and grill until the corn is nice and tender...or for how ever long you like to grill your corn!


While your corn is grilling mix up about 1/2 cup of mayonnaise and some fresh squeezed lime juice; I used one whole lime. Place 1/2 cup of crumbled cotija cheese on a cookie sheet or a plate. Grab a few limes and grate them for the rind. Combine the rind shavings and chili powder in a small dish, or you could just mix it up in the cheese which I may do next time.


Hmmmmmmmm, Cooootijjjja!


Take your corn of the grill when it is done cooking and peel back the husk.  You can leave the husk on for a little fiesta flare but I went ahead and cut mine off. Be careful not to burn your fingers! 


Slather each ear with the mayo and lime juice combo, then roll in the cheese, and sprinkle with chili power/lime rind to taste. There you have it! If you want to make corn in a cup just take the corn off the cob, place in a cup, and pile everything else on top! Yum!


Cheers and Happy Grilling!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...