Thursday, June 18, 2009

Thursday In Santa Fe

Well, the trip seems to be coming to a rapid end. I don't want it to end. It is so peaceful out here and I have not thought about work once! It is good for the soul to escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life! I have enjoyed every minute of it. Tomorrow Jeff and I are going to go do a bit of exploring on out own and I think I am finally going to get to go to La Boca!!

Today we had a nice relaxing morning. We went Museum Hill to the Wheelwright Museum. Our casita is just a few miles from Museum Hill. There is the sweetest exhibit there right now. It is called Through Their Eyes: Paintings from the Santa Fe Indian School. The exhibit is a collection of the work of students at the Indian School between 1918 and 1945. The paintings are absolutely wonderful. The students had talent that I can only dream about. The colors they used and the precision of the lines in their drawings was so enthralling to me. Each painting told a story of culture and heritage. Some of the paintings are so detailed, it is as if the people in the painting are alive and staring back at you.



The museum has 2 sculptures outside that were sculpted by Allan Houser. Allan Houser was one of the students at the Indian School who later became a famous artist.




The museum has a gift shop they call "The Trading Post". It was structured and built to look like a real trading post. I picked up a few things there...some I cannot talk about because they are for a particular person...I think she knows who she is!



I got the cutest little folk art owl at the Trading Post. Jeff actually found the owl. I think it makes a fine addition as a decorative addition in our home. I also got a burden basket. I learned about this from the casita. Susan, the lady of the casitas that we stay in, has one hanging by the front door. I noticed it last year and wanted one but was not able to find one. So, when I saw it in the Trading Post, I knew I had to have it!




***update. We have named our little owl..."Enchilada Tow-Hee." I think I am going to write a Children's book about him. It is already in the works!***

On Museum Hill is "The Labyrinth." (Jeff is now dictating to me what the labyrinth is so this is all him...he is a science dork) Contrary to what the name may imply, this labyrinth is no maze. It is a single circular path eventually ending in the center. In the center, sound is resonated which baffled me at first (that is Jeff speaking remember). I could not leave until I justified this to myself. As I walked around the 2 foot exterior walls, I noticed that the labyrinth rose slightly towards the center forming a dome. This meant that the labyrinth formed a perfect parabola. For those not familiar with calculus, a perfect parabola means that no matter where on a structure a signal makes contact it will follow a line called a directrix to the exact center point, called a focus. The low walls serve to reflect the sound along a directrix to the focus, where you are standing. My mind at rest, we could now leave. **That is the end to Jeff's scientific description. Those who are reading this and know him...I know appreciate it! :-) Oh, this is Jeff's first blog entry!!! World record breaking news here! I can just go ahead and end this blog here, but I am not...





After the museum we came back to the casita for lunch and just relaxed. Then, we headed over to Gabriels...the most fabulous Southwestern/Mexican food restaurant in this area....I feel like I am writing a review or something.


If you order guacamole, they make it for you right at your table.








My dad ordered a pitcher of margarita! Aye! Right up my alley!







For dinner I had black bean enchiladas. Sooooo good!!






Jeff had crab enchiladas..I never heard of such a thing.







Well, I am tired and it is about 12am here so, I am turning in. Good night to all and Cheers!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...