Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Tuesday In Tularosa

This morning, I got up, made myself a little “great start” breakfast, and sat out on the deck. I think sitting on the deck has been my favorite part so far on this vacation. The weather is beautiful and you can’t beat this view!!




Jeff and I found a gas station and “cocktail lounge” called Club Gas, never heard of such a thing. But, you can also get vodka shots at the gas station and this is still all too new to me. In Texas, can’t buy liquor on Sunday or after 9pm on every other day.




They also have really neat flowers here called Red Hot Pokers. I want to go to the local nursery to pick up some to plant at home.




Later this afternoon we drove to Tularosa and went to the Tularosa Vineyards for a little wine tasting. Jeff and I picked up a bottle of Sangiovese.





They have a winery mascot. He was the biggest yet sweetest dog I have ever met. Apparently he is 6 years old and has grown up on the winery.




On Monday we also went to the Relleno Bros Winery for a tasting and Jeff and I picked up Dolcetto del Cielo. So, I guess you could say we are having really good luck with finding wineries. The unfortunate truth is that there are absolutely no knitting or fiber stores in this area of New Mexico! I am very disappointed. So, I took my disappointment and spun with it…..with a little roving I brought up here. Good darn thing I did!


Okay, back to the Tularosa trip…I am getting a little out of order here. After the wine tasting we went to the Three Rivers Petroglyph site. My dad kept calling them, Pyroglyphs, ha!



It was about a one mile hike up a rocky cliff and the view was amazing on the way up.




We saw some really interesting petroglyphs.













After our afternoon hike, we stopped in at the Three Rivers Trading Post. Jeff and I talked with a nice Native American who told us about his Grandpa Four Bears and the traditions of his tribe, which goes back to the leather birds.


After our little mini day trip, we all headed back to the house and I cooked red trout, asparagus, and roasted sweet potatoes. We also had a little of that wine we got from the winery!





Cheers!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...